• TVJL
    29 July 2015 at 16:56 #51356

Barry Brown
    29 July 2015 at 19:28 #51357

3 litre? I just noticed a mention of his Lag in the Classic Motorcycle report on the Stafford auction where he and James disposed of some of their bikes. He definitely has good taste in bikes and cars!

Colin M34
    29 July 2015 at 20:27 #51358

It’s a blown 2 litre with a slightly wrong body. I like the long wings. I wonder if he actually owns it himself?

Colin

TVJL
    30 July 2015 at 08:04 #51359

I thought that it was a 2 litre (yes, love those long wings) but didn’t appreciate that it is blown. Do you know the car, Colin?

Colin M34
    30 July 2015 at 19:57 #51360

No I don’t know the car. It’s got a sort-of T1 body with the correct T2 cut-out for the driver.

I note that on the 27 June 2015, Hammond tweeted “Citizens of Ross, apologies for the smoke: my Lagonda let go. And it sounds reassuringly expensive.” And then on the 9th. July “The reason for my smoky trip out in Lagonda turns out to be a holed piston. Which is, as forecast, reassuringly expensive. Oh oily joy.”

OK so he is discovering the pleasures of a blown 2 Litre. I wonder where he has taken it to repair?

Still, we must encourage him to have the same kind of oily joy we experience. My 2 Litre makes such lovely noises round the lanes at 45 mph. Mind you I can live without pot noodles.

Colin

Alec Rivers-Bowerman
    30 July 2015 at 23:38 #51362

This One?
    https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/lagonda/2-litre/1931/251242

Alec

Colin M34
    31 July 2015 at 08:36 #51363

Yes, that’s the one. http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21907/lot/275/

It sold at the 2014 Goodwood Revival for ?102,300 inc. premium. I agree with the description that it “presents well” and it is “smart and very original in appearance” – especially with the long wings and the slightly unusual body. I guess to blower appealed to Richard Hammond and once he has fixed the engine I hope he will enjoy it further.

Colin

Julian Messent
    12 August 2015 at 12:18 #51401

He got a good deal there, nice car!

Just need the engine “breathed upon” so it has some more life and it will be one of my ideal Lagondas.

Julian

h14
    14 August 2015 at 19:02 #51402

Sorry to be pedantic, but surely he’s only “one of us” if he is a member of the Lagonda Club?
    Otherwise: disinterested, poseur, investor, too many cars to bother joining yet another club, sees no point in mixing with the likes of us, not a “club person”, doesn’t know there is a club (see “disinterested”)….add your own category!

Richard Branch
    14 August 2015 at 21:40 #51404

Also being pedantic one doesn’t have to be a Lagonda Club member to be a ‘member’ of this forum. However as Mr Hammond has not appeared as a poster here you are correct in that he’s not “one of us”.

That said neither am I, yet… 😀 I have joined this forum as it’s a great source of knowledge and inspiration in my way towards becoming an owner, whereupon I will no doubt join the club.

h14
    15 August 2015 at 08:26 #51405

Quite right…I did think of that, oh well!

You don’t need to own a Lagonda to join the club, in fact I wasn’t an owner when I joined. Once I was a member, I advertised for an LG6 or V12 drophead, received two responses, and ended up buying my much loved V12 as a result.

Laurence

Julian Messent
    15 August 2015 at 13:10 #51406

I’m not “one of us” either,

I’m one of “me”
    I don’t think anyone would aspire to be another one of me and the world is not big enough anyway for two such ……….. fill in the blanks as you wish ;o)

But I do feel welcome so I suppose you lot are quite forgiving in nature. Therefore it stands to reason that if you accept me then surely there is enough room for mr Hamond, especially as he does now seem to have a Lagonda, for whatever reason it is surely a good one as he is showing appreciation for the marque! no?

“The” Julian :o)

Barry Brown
    15 August 2015 at 13:45 #51408

We should be grateful it wasn’t the despicable Clarkson who bought one. Hammond is a motorcycle man as well was Wal Handley ( Rudge 500TT champ 1930 ) who had an M45 and of course do not forget the first Lagonda was a motorcycle.
    With most celebrities collector cars and bikes are just the “flavour of the month” I spotted Alan De Cadenet’s name in the Brough club roster many years ago but it disappeared quickly. He also purchased a couple of Crockers a few years ago and then quickly tired of them and auctioned them off. Jay Leno has an eclectic collection but you can be sure none are for sale, all are treasured, maintained and used including his replica Lagonda Lemans v12 !

h14
    15 August 2015 at 14:52 #51409

Ooh is Alain de Cadenet a “celeb”? I remember lending him an 18mm box spanner to change the plugs on his (pre war obviously) Alfa Romeo at a Brooklands Reunion many years ago, so that at least indicated a willingness to get his hands dirty. Will Hammond at least do that?!

Julian….you’re an odd one! You’re in the “trade”, which in period might have made you “beyond the pale”. But we’re probably all “odd ones” in our own ways, and if you’re not “one of us”, you’re very welcome!

Laurence

Barry Brown
    16 August 2015 at 01:11 #51410

“PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON’T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER”. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.