The Official Site of the Lagonda Club
The Lagonda Club website contains a history of the company from 1899 to 1990 and a picture gallery showing the various models produced. Over 1000 Lagondas still exist, many of which are actively used for touring and competition. Many members use their cars regularly and enthusiastically, and join in the diverse selection of events throughout the world which are organised or energetically supported by the Club.
The founder, Wilbur Gunn, was born in 1860 and brought up in Springfield, Ohio in the District of Lagonda (Ough Ohonda). He moved to Staines, England in 1891 where he set up the Lagonda Engineering Company in 1899 initially producing motorised bicycles, graduating via tricars to bigger cars. Wilbur Gunn died in 1920 but Lagonda went on to produce big, fast, impressive vehicles. In 1935 a racing Lagonda triumphed with a win at Le Mans. During the 1950’s the Duke of Edinburgh drove a Lagonda drophead coupe which still exists today. The last Lagonda was built in 1990.
A Lagonda Car Club was founded in 1933 but all activity stopped in 1939. The present day Lagonda Club was formed in 1951 from a revived Lagonda Car Club and the 2 litre Lagonda Register and currently has world-wide membership of approximately 800.
The aims of the newly formed Club were to maintain the tradition of a famous British marque and organise a varied programme of motoring activities for the members of the Club to enjoy. Over the years the Club has grown and developed and has built up a remarkably comprehensive archive which is steadily expanding as more historical information becomes available. The Club also runs an excellent Spares Service for pre-war cars which provides an invaluable backup to fully paid up members and can be ordered direct from the Lagonda Club website www.lagondaclub.com. Spares and other Lagonda services are not available to non-members. Our sister organisation, the Rapier Register, provides all Lagonda Rapier spares.
The Club has not provided an official Spares Service for post-war Lagondas as this has been organised by Aston Service-Dorset. There is, however, a start in building a spares service to supplement this in the future, as well as a certain amount of trading between members. We also have a Board member who looks after the interests of the post-war models and keeps a comprehensive Register of these cars.
A full colour illustrated Club Magazine is distributed to members each quarter, backed up by an informative monthly Newsletter to keep members up to date with coming events and matters of importance in the old car world. The Newsletter is a particularly good source for advertising cars/spares/items for sale or wanted. A comprehensive range of instruction manuals, historical books, badges and clothing is also available to our members.
Everyone who owns a pre war or post war Lagonda or a car which shares with the Lagonda the 2 litre Crossley engine or the 4½ litre Meadows engine, as does the Invicta, is encouraged to apply for membership of the Lagonda Club. Also welcome are any persons, whether or not Lagonda owners, who have an interest and enthusiasm for the marque. To apply for membership please click on this link to register.