• h14
    17 May 2009 at 13:15 #47561

Hi…I bought 2 new gears (1 & 1 spare) for my V12 around 1980. Now the engine is finally being rebuilt, the guy tells me he’s tried both in place, & that they’re so tight in mesh, he’s reluctant to use either of them. He says he’s heard that in certain circumstances, fibre (tufnol) can “grow”.
    Main question has to be….is tight mesh likely to be an issue, or will it bed in quickly with use, to good tolerances?

I understand duralumin replacements are available….however this is a late Sanction 2 engine, therefore fitted originally with a fibre gear, so it therefore doesn’t have spray bars fitted to lubricate these gears (as the Sanction 1 engines with bronze intermediate gears did). Also reluctant to fit metal gear because of extra noise, & also like the fact that a fibre gear will strip before anything else breaks!

So…any thoughts/advice gratefully received!

Julian Messent
    24 June 2009 at 10:50 #47598

Hi,
    My advice is to use the Ally gear, it makes no noise etc and you really don’t want a weak link in your valve timing gears!
    There is easily enough oil in the timing chest to lubricate your gears.

Regards,
    Julian.

h14
    10 July 2009 at 10:05 #47605

Hi Julian,

Many thanks…but have found a gear cutter who says he can shave the gears (I have one & a spare) to the correct profile.
    Wouldn’t exactly call the fibre gear a weak link….the original in my car lasted 36 years, & even then probably only failed through oil starvation…my engine was missing the vibration damper, which throws oil up to these gears.
    Cheers

Laurence

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.