• Christian
    25 September 2012 at 11:46 #49664

Which grease should I use for the two driveshafts?

David
    25 September 2012 at 14:10 #49666

You might want to consult others but my recollection is high graphite content for extreme pressure applications; it’s almost black in colour

Christian
    25 September 2012 at 14:25 #49667

Graphite grease is recommended for splined applications, I am wondering about Moly Grease too…

David
    25 September 2012 at 15:13 #49668

In the beginning, AML chose an “ordinary” grease but after repeated half-shaft failures under warranty they got in Hardy-Spicer for a design review, who immediatley spotted that the designed geometry of the shafts was not perpendicular to the plane of wheel rotation, which causes uneven peak loading on the splines which the “ordinary” grease couldn’t cope with. Hence the change to graphite grease. Your call re Moly grease though

Christian
    25 September 2012 at 15:39 #49669

I think Hardy Spicer knew their stuff, so graphite grease it is. I had to replace one of the Hardy Spicer UJ’s, both outer ones have now been replaced. The splines don’t appear to have any play (though both shafts have been replaced) – the UJ’s may have taken the peak loading and saved the splines?

David
    25 September 2012 at 16:33 #49670

It also occurs to me that when re-assembling each half-shaft it is important to align the splines so that the UJ yokes at each end are parallel to each other (and not “out” by one or more splines)

Alec Rivers-Bowerman
    25 September 2012 at 22:34 #49672

If your input and output shafts are more or less parallel to each other, but move laterally with respect to each other, the best setup is to have the yokes on either end of the shaft parallel to each other, not at right angles. U-joints are not perfect when running at an angle, and although the diff may be running at a steady speed, the driveshaft will vary in speed. By aligning the yokes on the shaft in parallel this effect cancels out and the wheel should run at a steady speed.
    Alec

David
    26 September 2012 at 08:49 #49673

Alec is right, have edited my previous

ray sherratt
    28 September 2012 at 09:42 #49681

Re- spline & joint lubrication.
    A 140 grade oil is recomended for joints and splines,sliding joints
    ( not splined ) on agricultural shafts a graphite-based grease
    is recommended. Data from Hardy Spicer Ltd published in
    servicing guide to british motor vehicles volume 3. When a grease
    gun is mentioned on a service sheet, it is only a macanical means
    of delivering the oil.
    Ray Sherratt.

David
    28 September 2012 at 09:48 #49682

Oil is not suitable for LR drive shaft splines for reasons I set out earlier

ray sherratt
    28 September 2012 at 19:06 #49684

David.
    The information was for general use and not Specific. Indeed the use of a graphite or Moly
    base lube has increased the life of componants immensely. I thought it may be usfull to other
    Lagonda users. I am not questioning your knowledge in any way shape or form. Rocol make a superb
    dry Moly assembly lube.

Ray Sherratt.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.