• Colin M34
    19 November 2012 at 20:47 #49852

Hi Chris,

I do know somebody who put 21 inch wheels on his 16/80, but the car has subsequently disappeared off my radar. It’s registration number is PJ 7977 chassis number S10196.

I’m not sure 21 inch wheels are the right solution – it may end up being over-geared.

Colin M34

cahallett
    20 November 2012 at 10:28 #49853

Hello Colin,

Thanks for the reply, I remember reading in a very old club mag about a 16/80 fitted with 21″ wheels and a form of bar added to the front axle to battle ‘axle tramp’.

I was actually looking for better road capabilities on unmade rough roads.
    We have just returned from India and the 18″ wheels found the road surfaces challenging.
    It would also give an extra 34mm in ride hight if fitted with Blockleys.

As for a single carb, the twin SU carbs fitted are very sensative to adjustment on the road/altitude etc.. so the idea was to fit a suitable single carb with a good airfiter to allow easier adjuatment.

Obviously all of the above will effect cruising speed, but this is not the priority when travelling on these types of road.

Best Regards
    Chris

Attached files

Barry Brown
    20 November 2012 at 13:23 #49854

Maybe you should add a “cattle catcher” as well !

cahallett
    20 November 2012 at 13:53 #49855

It is funny you say that because cows on the road was a big problem.
    Being sacred there are absolutely everywhere and wander wherever and whenever they want.
    Everything has to avoid them but a little nudge with either front cycle wing was usually enough of a persuasion to get out of the way.

Colin M34
    20 November 2012 at 16:07 #49856

Hi Chris,

I have had 2 Litres variously fitted with 600 x19 and 600 x 20 wheels. My HC 2 Litre came with 20’s and I kept them on the back and put 21’s on the front. It looks lovely with chunky Lucas tyres on the back and skinny Firestones on the front.

Thinking about it, 600 x 20 would be great for “colonial” conditions.

Colin

Julian Messent
    21 November 2012 at 18:36 #49861

Hi Chris,
    I have seen the 16/80 with 19s and it looked better than 18s so maybe a compremise.
    I think though it would work well and look good on 21s as long as you have the power to pull them like Collin says.

Single carb.
    We did fit a single 2″ carb to one of our 2.4 litre “2 litre” conversions and it worked just as well as twin 1 1/2 carbs, lost about 5 hp at the top end but was absolutely perfect all the way up to 4000 revs and 110 bhp so i can see no reason not to use a single carb as long as the manifold is well made and designed.

Go for it!

Best regards,
    Julian

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.