• Steve Darnell
    23 November 2017 at 08:36 #52555

The sump on my 14/60 is cracked and leaking. My local welding shop/foundry has tried to weld it, without success. Every time he does it, within half an hour, it cracks again. Any idea why? And how to solve it?
    Or has anyone a spare sump they could sell me?

Barry Brown
    23 November 2017 at 12:04 #52556

It probably can be welded but it is not an easy process as it has to be preheated , super clean bolted down to prevent distortion and then put back in the oven so that it cools slowly. The aluminum is full of contaminating oil. A much easier and permanent “mechanical” repair can be done using high end epoxies such as this https://www.amazon.ca/Devcon-10760-Gray-Titanium-Putty/dp/B00065TM08. Follow the instructions carefully. Use some steel mesh for added strength. I repaired my sump and one brake backing plate this way.
    After you have repaired it, paint it with glyptal or another type of paint used in electric motor armature sealing.Aluminum castings pre ww2 are notoriously porous.

Attached files

Colin M34
    24 November 2017 at 20:23 #52557

I agree with everything Barry says. In addition I have been told that it is desirable to boil the component in hot water and detergent to get out the grease, though I haven’t tried it myself.

Colin M34

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.