• Barry Brown
    6 December 2014 at 01:21 #51090

Quite a stash. My question is what model Lagonda is briefly shown in the short video? Thought it might be an M45. Just curious.

David
    6 December 2014 at 10:33 #51092

The Classic Driver website indicates it’s an LG45 “cabrio”. The UK registration ends with the number 550

SRD
    6 December 2014 at 18:13 #51093

Well spotted, and there was me thinking only the Americans did this to cars. I

I would tend to agree that the car might be an LG45 dhc, but what a bill faces any future purchaser of this or any of the cars.

Spotted yet another Facel Vega HK500 in there, several gorgeous pre-war Delahayes, numerous French pre-war cars and even an Edwardian or two.. The Ferrari 250GT will clearly fly out of the door, as well the Maserati A6G 2000.

Unlike many barn find collections, this one is the real McCoy and I expect that effect will knock the price up, that is of course, if the bubble hasn’t burst by then …….

DavidLG45
    6 December 2014 at 18:46 #51094

There are two Lagondas. The first about 1:10 from the start the second about 2:10. I think the first is an LG45 DHC the second possibly a M45. You tube link:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxA5kqDwmzQ

David

Only one Lagonda listed though (LG45). Is the second one not a Lagonda? Looks like a Lagonda radiator. . . .

Barry Brown
    7 December 2014 at 15:28 #51095

I am interested in knowing the whole story as there seems to be little information revealed on how and when the man who accumulated all these treasures died. What was sold at the “first” auction? There is no way that all these remaining cars were totally unknown . Someone must have lived in that house . I imagine the whole story is being intentionally withheld to add to the intrigue. That looks like the nose of an M45 to me.

h14
    7 December 2014 at 16:57 #51096

This was mentioned on the local radio station this morning. If I understood correctly, the location is in the countryside near Niort, which is around an hour’s drive from here.

Laurence

Barry Brown
    7 December 2014 at 22:33 #51097

Laurence, Why not go over there and offer to “help” Maybe some Lag parts will fall off the truck when they are loading . 😉

Colin M34
    7 December 2014 at 23:06 #51098

They have probably been removed form the site already, so at least we need numbers and a few pictures for the one or two Lagondas.

Colin

mehere
    8 December 2014 at 10:46 #51099

There is mention of an LG45 Lagonda ? and indeed, in some pictures a blue drophead is quite apparent. However, trawling through some of the 100 other pictures there is also a very intriguing and very original-looking M45 [or maybe 3-litre] saloon which is on BRITISH number plates?.

Attached files

h14
    9 December 2014 at 11:04 #51101

Deux Sevres car club newsletter today states that there was an intention to build a car museum to display these cars at Chateau Gaillard, and the president of the Deux Sevres dept was in discussion with the son of the original owner to that end; but unfortunately that son died so now the cars are to be sold off.

Laurence

Colin M34
    9 January 2015 at 01:09 #51136

I believe there is sufficient discarded factory LG45 bodywork around that that this can be restored as is…it’s complete, so please, whoever buys it, not another racer!

Colin

h14
    9 January 2015 at 11:13 #51137

Most of the body seems to be there so hopefully this can be restored and originality retained.

Unreal to think this car was bought with preservation in mind…from the previous link/video, I got the impression the cars were largely just dirty/weatherbeaten, but these pictures (and the zoom facility is great!) show truly advanced neglect! The rusted out toolcase bottom indicates this car must have stood outside and not under cover for some time. To be fair, maybe the car was bought in this condition…I wonder when it was last on the road?

The km/h speedo is interesting, I wonder how many prewar Lagondas have those. Also note the non-Lucas headlamps, but above all, the outstanding originality of this car….which makes its condition all the more shameful.

It will be very interesting to see how this fares at the auction. The estimate has to be a come-on, unless people are tiring of barn finds, or overwhelmed by the sheer number of such cars coming up at the same time. I seem to recall the first few cars at the Ellard sale sold for reasonably sensible prices, but soon some sort of hysteria prevailed!

Laurence

mehere
    11 January 2015 at 20:18 #51138

I notice that the UK-registered M45 saloon [see above] is not in the sale- so I wonder if it can be assumed that this is one of the cars the family have retained to have restored for themselves?

mehere
    13 January 2015 at 16:44 #51139

h14 wrote:
    The km/h speedo is interesting, I wonder how many prewar Lagondas have those.

Laurence

And also ‘eau’ and Litres on water/fuel gauges yet ‘oil’ not huile on the oil pressure gauge …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.