• Richard Branch
    22 August 2016 at 08:56 #52092

I’ve not got suppressed leads 🙂

cahallett
    22 August 2016 at 15:33 #52093

Hi,
    Do a quick compression test.
    If you are getting 90 + on each plug then there is nothing wrong with your engine.
    It may just be that your carbs are too rich.
    Just my pennies worth.
    Best Regards
    Chris

bill
    22 August 2016 at 17:54 #52094

Just to clarify my earlier post on 18th August and Laurence’s above. Yes it seems to be correct that with NGK there is nothing between 2 and 6 for 18mm plugs. I was not aware of this.
    I have also checked with the friend I mentioned above who has the pre war BMW. He is in fact using NGK 4 not 5 !! He is using 14mm plugs with an insert not 18mm. He is doing about 50 miles to a pint of oil (burnt not leaked) and does not have a misfire !!
    He drives very hard !
    I think that with modern fuels we can probably use softer plugs than we thought we could !

Colin M34
    23 August 2016 at 15:40 #52095

Just to add to this thread, it’s probably worth pulling the engine out during the winter and checking it over. New rings would be useful but above all get new steel rods and shell bearings if these have not yet been fitted. I’m sure BG will do this for you if you do not have the facilities to do it yourself.

In the mean time, let the engine rev nicely to burn off any oil and note H81’s advice regarding getting the carbs right. Above all, have fun getting the engine good and hot on a decent run.

M34

Colin M34
    23 August 2016 at 15:46 #52096

I forgot to say that these engines are well understood by Gosnays (http://www.gosnays.co.uk/acatalog/) and if you see Adrian he should give you a price for the machining. He keeps new rods in stock. H81 and I both used him and are happy. They do not assemble engines themselves.

M34

Richard Branch
    25 August 2016 at 14:49 #52097

Thanks Colin, in the interests of marital harmony new rods & rings may have to wait a while!

Ditto
    31 August 2016 at 10:10 #52101

Hi Richard,

Just doing the Compression test will give you a good idea of engine state – I can lend you one. I understood its been running pretty well, but issue on sooting up when in today’s’ busy traffic and hot jams is less likely to indicate rebuild – try the 5s NGK plugs first, be sure to check carburetor settings too and possible fit on shafts etc.
    Today’s fuels run hotter, too advanced timing causes hotter running, plus silted up radiators can also have an effect [hard water around us – maybe flush out, swill in mild acid [vinegar]. Could be a bit of all these – check and sort one at a time, and be happy to switch off in jams.
    We have MG TC prone to this and in jams I now open one bonnet side to assist cooling! Cheers Christopher H White Waltham

Richard Branch
    31 August 2016 at 20:04 #52102

Thanks Christopher, the 16/80 is back in its quarters in Marlow for a few weeks now as I’m using the Aston this weekend for the Windsor concours and at the Goodwood Revival the following weekend. I’ll swap it back with the Lagonda the following week in order to meet you all at the AGM (or gathering or whatever it’s called now). Such is the problem of not having enough garage space!

My 16/80 has a newly cored radiator so it’s not that but I will try the hotter plugs and see how I get on. Look forward to meeting you all on Sunday 25th.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.