• SRD
    13 September 2016 at 13:23 #52118

Car dealership, Er ?? AML Ltd or more specifically Lagonda Ltd as first owner

Car featured in many key adverts in 1955 and 1956 – history ?

Continuous history from new ?

That the car was a rare beast in its condition, unlike so many seen which are wrecks even if complete, was a given, the original interior with some work was all saveable.

As to the loan of the car to Fangio for several years, it may have had a marked effect, how much it was, we have no idea, but several people were very keen and that was their choice of course.

In my opinion what helped that car, was product placement (good advertising, pictures, write up and several excited people), AML Bonham’s was the correct auction, pre- Brexit.

TVJL
    14 September 2016 at 08:29 #52119

You will have to remind me which entity – precisely – owned the car that was loaned to Fangio. I don’t recall when Lagonda Limited ceased to exist but I thought it was at a date earlier than this car’s manufacture.

IIRC, that ‘good advertising, pictures, write up’ came very late in the day e.g. I recall that much of the original marketing and other historical material was omitted from the first run of the Bonhams blurb.

I was at the auction and the number of bidders on the car was modest. The car was a good project, for sure, but I think that the biggest factor at play was pure bloody good fortune. 😀

SRD
    14 September 2016 at 17:24 #52120

Build sheet dated 1955 with Lagonda Ltd on there, so not much to discuss on that point

We all need lady luck in our lives sometimes 😀 😆

However, Bonham’s AML auction can always be counted on for a few high flyers, and I think it is a good auction to put cars into if placed correctly and with sensible here to buy estimates.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.