|Car Type||DB 3ltr|
|Date in Production||1953 to 1958|
|How many exist today?||Possibly around 82 including cars undergoing or awaiting restoration|
|Bore X Stroke|
The 2.6 litre was slightly altered into MK2 form at the end of 1952 to take advantage of better petrol becoming available but the differences are fairly minor, compared with the following year when the engine was enlarged to 3 litres by staggering the cylinder bores whilst retaining the same crankshaft, necessitating offset connecting rods (83 x 90mm, 2922cc). Although the rest of the chassis wasn’t altered much, a quite different body was designed for the 3 litre, again by Tickford. Eventually there were two door and four door saloons and a convertible. In 1955 David Brown took over Tickfords and in 1956 the whole operations of Aston Martin Lagonda were moved to Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire where the Tickford works had always been and Feltham was closed. In October 1956 a MK2 3 litre appeared, featuring floor gear change and various other minor changes, and the convertible was dropped. The saloons were discontinued in February 1958.
With a new body design the 3 Litre was introduced in 1953 as either a 2-door coupe or convertible. The chassis was essentially the same as the 2.6. Hydraulic jackalls (already added to the 2.6 Mk II) were a feature and other detail changes were made. Later, a front anti-roll bar became standard. The increase of engine size to 2922cc was achieved by enlarging and staggering the cylinder bores and power output was quoted at 140 bhp compared with the 105 bhp of the 2.6. The dashboard layout was changed (twice) with a rev. counter provided. In late 1954 a 4-door saloon was announced with the first one sold in 1955. For a further very short time the 2-door continued to be sold but from then only convertibles and 4-doors were produced and sold until early 1958.
In 1955 David Brown took over Tickfords and in 1956 the whole operations of Aston Martin Lagonda were moved to Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire where the Tickford works had always been and Feltham was closed.