• Peter S30
    16 July 2012 at 14:27 #49429

Who knows the trick to get the handbrake of the DB Lagonda working a bit better ? (mine is 3ltr but I assume the 2.6 will be the same)
    My foot brake is perfect and there is nothing I can see from outside of the rear brake drum that would cause that my handbrake is quite ineffective

mjpetersP24
    27 July 2012 at 20:03 #49470

Hi Peter,
    My cars are 2.6 and I never had this symptom so I cannot point you to any trick. Have you performed the adjustment of the rear shoes which should automatically adjust the hand brake correctly? I.e. turn the micram adjuster clockwise until the shoes are in full contact with the drum and then back it off one click. This is best done with each side jacked up in turn to rotate the wheel / half-shaft / drum.
    Does the 3Litre have an inspection flap in the boot floor to view / maintain the differential / rear brakes? If so, having a friend operate the handbrake while you look at the two levers attached to the wheel cylinders might provide a clue.
    The hand brake cable does have an adjusting nut but that is factory set. Unless that has been disturbed during a rebuild this shouldn’t be the cause. Severe binding and distortion of the cable might be a rare cause – I doubt it ….. nevertheless don’t forget the oil nipple half way along the cable!
    Finally, a rolling road brake test should show what is going on. It’s possible to have a good feel on the foot brake pedal but less than normal efficiency of the rear brakes due to some issue with shoes / drums / locating or pull-off springs.
    Regards, Martin

SRD
    6 August 2012 at 08:59 #49513

Peter hi

When you are back, please email me directly, I know the man who can tell you how to get the best out of hand brake adjustment.

He has had his dhc for 40 years plus, and really knows the cars inside out.

Simon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Request to join the Lagonda Forum

To avoid rogue requests we are currently manually approving all forum applications. Please fill out your details below and we will forward a link and password to complete your application.